- Soursop a truly tropical fruit with tremendous health benefits. Unlike most beneficial fruits out there, this one actually tastes good!. Sweet with a hint of sourness. Very similar to a Cherimoya but bigger. Actually, Guanabana (Soursop) is the largest in the Annona family. Fruits have a heart shape with a spiky skin. Make sure you eat it fast as it will spoil on you. Shelf life of this fruit is not so great. Surprisingly, the tree is not difficult to grow. Just make sure to follow our growing tips below.
- Soursop (Guanabana) Growing Tips:
- Best time to plant: Anytime night temperatures are at least 50F and expected to rise in the next month or so. This is going to be mid to late spring for most people.
- Sun: It will take direct sunlight until about 100F. We recommend some shade past this temperature. It grows in the shade as well just not as fast as in the sun.
- Winter: Frost sensitive. Cold hardy in the mid 20f's It will defoliate every winter, this is normal.
- Root system: Shallow, fibrous roots
- Growth structure: Upright growth. In tropical areas up to 15-20ft. Non-tropical areas expect your tree to stay much smaller.
- Fruiting: It flowers in the spring and fruits ripen late summer.
- Pollination: Self-pollination (one plant will fruit without others around). Flowers open at night and it may need hand pollination in non-tropical areas.
- Watering: Due to its type of root system, shallow/frequent watering.
- Fertilization: In containers, any slow release fertilizer will work. In ground, compost and mulch is all you will ever need. No special fertilizers needed.
- Container Grown: This plant grows well in a container due to its type of root system.
- Personal Growing Tip: While this plant may not be hard to grow. Getting the tree to hold fruit through the summer proves challenging. Due to our extreme temperatures in the summer, the fruits tend to drop early before fully ripening. If you can provide a "cool" microclimate and keep the temperatures below 100f, you may have better luck.
Soursop, Guanabana (Annona Muricata)
Out of Stock
Did you know plants are living beings just like you and I?. For this reason, all our sales are FINAL. Rest assured we're always here to answer any questions you may have. We want our plants to live a long happy life!.