- Henna plant is one of our most popular plants in our entire inventory!. Native to North Africa, Henna (Lawsonia Inermis) is a well known dye plant used in hair coloring, temporary tattoos, textiles and leather coloring. The coloring can be proccessed by sun drying the leaves then you take those dry leaves and grind them into a powder and mix them with any type of acidic liquid such as lemon juice. This henna coloring ranges from dark orange to reddish-brown.
- Henna plant Growing Tips:
- Best time to plant: When night temperatures are HOT. 60f-70F. Never plant too early in the season if chances of frost are still present or too late close to winter.
- Sun: Full sun, do not keep in the shade. (Our 4" starter size plants will take the sun but they tend to dry fast and will die very quickly in they go dry in full sun). We recommend to grow them into a 1 gallon pot before venturing into the full sun here in Arizona.
- Winter: Small plants tend to be more cold sensitive than older plants. In our experience, they can handle cold temperatures briefly in the high 20F's. Older, more established plants will handle colder temperatures. Always protect from frost and cold wind. It's normal for this plant to go dormant and drop its leaves during winter time.
- Growth structure: It grows naturally as a shrub. It could be pruned as a tree but if you plan to harvest its leaves, a shrub structure will yield more leaves. This plant can grow up to 10-12ft.
- Root system: This plant has a shallow root system.
- Watering: Water frequently. The smaller the plant, the more frequently you need to water. Never let our starter size plants dry as 1 hour in the sun is all it takes to kill them if they go completely dry.
- Fertilization: In containers use any type of slow release fertilizer. We use osmocote slow release fertilizer. In ground, a layer of compost and mulch is all you will ever need.
- Container growing: It does well in a container. Remember, as your plant gets bigger so will its container. Always up-pot in small increments and only when your plant needs it. A bigger pot will NOT make your plant grow faster.
- Henna plant personal growing tip: This plant only grows when (night) temperatures are hot!. The hotter the night temperatures, the faster they grow. What's hot for us? 80f-90f night temperatures. This plant is usually the last plant to wake up and start growing for the season. Normally, if winter temperatures drop low enough for the plant to defoliate, it will look like a stick and not grow until your night temperatures get at least 60f-70f.
- 4" starter size tip: Up-pot into a 1 gallon pot, let grow for at least 6 months to a year then plant in ground. While this plant can be planted straight in ground, it's also very easy to kill due to its small size. Video coming soon, check out our youtube channel.
Henna Tree, Hina, Mehandi, dye tree (Lawsonia Inermis)
Did you know plants are living beings just like you and I?. For this reason, all our sales are FINAL. Rest assured we're always here to answer any questions you may have. We want our plants to live a long happy life!.