- Not an apple but a tropical fruit you probably have never tasted!. Think of Kei apple as an apricot. They even taste very similar. Very easy to grow, if you don't have one already, what are you waiting for?.
- Kei Apple Growing Tips
- Best time to plant: Anytime night temperatures are at least 50F and expected to rise in the next month or so. This is going to be mid to late spring for most people.
- Sun: Full sun anywhere in the U.S.
- Winter: Frost sensitive, protect from cold wind and frost. Cold hardy to low 20F's (Mature trees).
- Root system: Roots grow straight down several feet. Tap root.
- Growth structure: This is naturally a shrub. It can grow up to 15-25ft. Tall in ideal conditions and short in not so ideal conditions.
- Pollination: This is a dioucious tree, male and female trees are needed to get fruit. It takes an average of 4-5 for these trees to start flowering so we're unable to tell which are females/males. This is why we recommend planting 2-3 trees in order to increase chances of getting a male/female.
- Fruiting: This tree flowers in the spring and fruits ripen sometime late summer/fall.
- Watering: Shallow water first season in ground. As the tree gets older, deep water. Do let soil dry somewhat in between watering.
- Fertilization: In containers, any slow release fertilizer will work. In ground, compost and mulch is all you will ever need. No special fertilizers needed. Container Grown: Due to its root system, this plant doesn't grow well in a container long term.
- Container Grown: This plant does ok in a container short term. To get the most out of your tree, we recommend to plant this tree in ground rather than growing it in a container long term.
- Personal Growing Tip: Once you plant this tree in ground, no top growth is normal until the tree roots in ground. The rooting process can take 1 year+ depending on your local night temperatures. Hot=It Grows faster, Cold=It grows slower. These trees have massive thorns so keep this in mind when deciding where to plant this tree.
Kei Apple ( Dovyalis caffra )
Did you know plants are living beings just like you and I?. For this reason, all our sales are FINAL. Rest assured we're always here to answer any questions you may have. We want our plants to live a long happy life!.