- Do you like peaches? how about pineapples? Well, the fruit of this palm tastes just like both of these fruits combined!. Pindo palms also known as Jelly palms are a type of easy to grow fruiting palms. If you want the looks of a palm in your yard, why not get one that also produces edible fruit?. Jelly palm gets its name from its fruit which naturally contains pectin the main ingredient in the making of jelly and jam.
- Jelly Palm Growing Tips
- Best time to plant: Anytime of the year unless it's in the middle of winter.
- Sun: Full sun anywhere in the U.S.
- Winter: Will tolerate frost and temperatures down in the high teens. No winter protection in the Arizona area. If your soil freezes during winter, different story.
- Root system: Vigorous shallow roots
- Growth structure: This palm can grow up to 15-20ft. It will get just as wide with a fat trunk.
- Fruiting: It normally flowers in the spring and fruits are ready sometime in the summer. Your plant needs to reach maturity before it will flower. This can only happen if planted in the ground. It normally takes 4-8 years for them to start flowering.
- Pollination: Self-pollinating, only 1 plant needed to get fruit.
- Watering: Shallow water first season in ground. This plant retains moisture once fully rooted in ground. For this reason once older, soak it really good, let soil fully dry, rinse and repeat. While this plant is drought tolerant, don't expect amazing growth if you don't water.
- Fertilization: In containers, any slow release fertilizer will work. In ground, compost and mulch is all you will ever need. No special fertilizers needed.
- Container Grown: This palm will grow in a container just fine. Will it fruit, probably not as it must fully root in ground and mature before it can flower. This is very hard to do in a pot. We recommend to plant in ground to get full benefit of this plant.
- Personal Growing Tip: Once you plant this palm in ground, no top growth is normal until your palm fully roots in ground. The rooting process can take 1 year+ depending on your local night temperatures. Hot=It Grows faster, Cold=It grows slower.
Pindo - Jelly Palm (Butia capitata)
Did you know plants are living beings just like you and I?. For this reason, all our sales are FINAL. Rest assured we're always here to answer any questions you may have. We want our plants to live a long happy life!.