- Spice ginger also known as Galangal is a spice plant close related to ginger. It's more nutritional than ginger and it adds a spicy taste to any dish it's added to. Not only it's good for you, it's also very ornamental and easy to grow!.
- Galangal ( Alpinia Galanga ) growing tips:
- Best time to plant: When night temperatures are at least 50f consistently and expected to rise for at least the next 3 months. (Late spring to late summer) for most places.
- Sun: Full sun
- Winter: Frost sensitive. May die back to the ground in the winter. It will come back in the spring.
- Growth Structure: Grass like growth. It can get 6-7ft tall and just as wide. It grows from rhizomes just like ginger.
- Root system: Rhizome root system. Very shallow.
- Harvesting: We recommend to let it fully grow for at least a year before harvesting the rhizomes. Always leave some behind to keep the plant going.
- Watering: Water when dry. Keep dry during winter months as rot is the main killer in the winter.
- Fertilization: In pots, use any slow release fertilizer. In ground, plain compost, mulch is all you need.
- Container growing: This plant does well in a container temporarily. Due to its rapid growth, it will require you to up-pot it probably yearly.
- Personal growing tip: Relatively easy to grow. Just don't keep it wet in the winter. If your soil freezes during winter, you may want to create a micro climate for this plant as the rhizomes may die in frozen soil.
Remember, we're always here to answer any questions you may have. Don't wait until your tree is dead to ask questions.
We can ship this plant anywhere in the U.S.
Spice Ginger ( Galangal )
Did you know plants are living beings just like you and I?. For this reason, all our sales are FINAL. Rest assured we're always here to answer any questions you may have. We want our plants to live a long happy life!.